As humans, life is constantly changing. We all go through an insane amount of life transitions, that might leave us feeling….well, insane.
Do you feel like everything in your life is changing? Did you just change careers? Graduate? Move?
….It is okay! Expect to feel depressed, anxious, or whatever emotion that fits your ‘fill in the blank’ here. Yes, even if the change was desired! Change requires loss. Loss provides grief. Here are a few simple tips for how to give yourself space during life transitions:
- Breathe- Yes! Literally, breathe. Practice ‘four square’ (or whatever breathing technique you like the best). Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, release for 4 seconds, and rest for 4 seconds. Repeat.
- See above: expect to feel ______. It makes sense!
- Find closure. Close the door.
- Walk forward. Ride the waves. Picture yourself on a float in the ocean, or in a kayak going downstream. Watch the leaves blow on a tree, but notice that the trunk is still planted firmly.
- Seek support. Find your safe people and talk to them! There is a good chance they have experienced a very similar life transition.
- Check in on yourself – What do you need? How do you feel connected to yourself (ex. Journaling)?
- Check in on your mindset. Repeat a phrase or personal mantra. For me, a few lines from “My Hope is Built” comes to mind.
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
If you need some guidance during a big transition, our counselors are equipped to walk with you through many of life’s changes. Give us a call at 615-591-5262.